Saturday, August 25, 2012

Mostly on being back and bit from being away

I have been back for over two weeks from my month long vacation and have not quite gotten around to telling you about  it. I have been far too busy organizing my life down to the drawers in my bedside table.  I kid you not.

It started in the office with the dumping out of file folders, mixing up and sorting out of stacks of who-knows-what, and the meticulous labeling of a million hanging file folders in my filing cabinet.  The reason we have a filing cabinet is because one day, some many months ago, Felix got in a huff about the disorganized state of his affairs and deemed he needed one to create a more productive business.  And he needed that filing cabinet right away.

So although it was the weekend and there were other scheduled activities on the docket, a filing cabinet was arranged. The Chill then solicited my assistance in sorting through tons of documents (mainly trash) that had accumulated throughout the house and which I had collected in boxes over the previous year. If felt good for both of us because Phil was finally getting organized - something I had wished for since we met.

Despite the good intentions and the grand new beginning, the documents, although piled into their proper genius and phylum, never made it to their home in the filing cabinet and were instead transported to Phil's work office in a box. I have no idea what has become of them there, but I do know, it left a rather large and truly empty filing cabinet in my home office.  But I digress.

The point is that that filing cabinet has now fulfilled its destiny as a center for Plot 38 information. It's a beautiful thing with the bills, Good Glass paraphernalia, and veterinary papers all having their precise and perfect place.  But I did not stop there. I moved into the guest closet, now a space for Good Glass crafty type things and home improvement tools. Next was the bedroom closet, the drawers and then finally the bedside tables. I tell you this place is spic and span, although please do not look in the bathroom cabinet which has temporarily defeated me.

In addition to the organizational makeover, I have been Good Glassing pretty hard core. This involved a new product to be made by the tailor, finding a new carpenter to make some fun things, and opening a bank account for Good Glass so that we can receive a small grant from PEPFAR. Hoody hoo!  Stay tuned to the Good Glass website and facebook page for more on all that.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> and now to get to the point, if this post were to have a point.

I'm sure most of you who read this silly blog were either a part of my USA tour or have already heard about it, so I'll try to keep it short and sweet.

First stop: Yardley, PA. Home of the Lamkey family. Although Jenny (friend o' mine since 1st grade) now resides in Long Island, she met me at her parents house so we could enjoy the extra space, the pool and mainly spending time with her new delicious little boy, Austin.


We even managed to get in a bit of shopping so I would have something to wear to the weddings. Which brings me to stop number 2: Worchester, MA. City where Fauna and Sean met and went to school.  I was able to come early for the bachelorette party, getting to meet up with old friends and also getting acquainted with all of Fauna's uni friends.  All of the events went just as planned except for the surprise swallowing of the bride's contact lenses which was lucky remedied by a speedy trip to the eye doctor. Phew. Even Boley and Connie were able to come for the numptuals.


James and Tash were able to join our Inglish trio for some fun on the Duck tour around Boston where we learned a lot, saw some sights, and mostly stopped for coastal delicacies and fancy drinks.


Constance, Boley and I went on to enjoy a day in Salem and some more tasty food and beverages.


Then the parentals were off to do some worky type things, leaving me to rendezvous with old friends from Uganda, Will and Darah (plus their new addition Harper), and Semester at Sea mate, Logan.


Next Stop: Tulsa, OK. To hang with Leah Philips.  The theme of delicious food and drink continued with a mighty Mexican fiesta and beers on the back porch. In addition to meeting her new beau, we did plenty of shopping for soft t-shirts for Phil and sun dresses for me, all the while enjoying each others company.  Every time I come back, Tulsa just keeps getting cooler.


Another wedding, the same green dress. This time my cousin Laura got hitched to Chris.  She was beautiful as was the reception held in the Jazz Depot (another cool thing in Tulsa!). Great to see the Inglish family there.


On to Pacific, MO. Home of the Vogts. Luck had it that Danci Lee was able to meet me there where we got to spend some quality time with Mary, Anna and Vicky - and even saw a fair bit of Jerome!  We went to the zoo, invited over all the family for ANOTHER Mexican fiesta (I'm a lucky girl), spent time in the pool and went to Johnson Shut-Ins for some more fun in the sun.


Danci drove me all the way from Pacific to Stillwater where I got to see Latasha, Fauna and Sean again and even had a lovely lunch with the entire Nordquist crew. From there, after renewing my drivers license, I was off to Topeka, KS for a triumvirate reunion.  I also got to see Jo and Matt since they were wrangled into helping Katie move house.  Catching up with Katie and Eric was as hilarious as ever.



I squeezed in a dinner with Crissy and Jeff in their newly remodeled (by themselves) home. Always good to reminisce with old roomies.


And last but not least, I spent the last bit with my parents in B'ville and at Cedar Creek with life-long friends Debbie and Steve Whit.  They have the best cabin. We loved it a lot.


Thanks to everyone who hosted me, fed me, hung out with me, and watched the Olympics with me. I am truly so very lucky to have each of you in my life. I wish I could have fit in even more friends and family - but what a great problem to have! One month is not enough time to see you all. You will have to come see me!

In totally unrelated news, I have not been fulfilling my goal to be a bad-a break dancer. However, the world of break dancing is ever progressing and providing more and more inspiration. Check out this completely insane video.

1 comment:

  1. Wow - that looks like a full calendar, but luckily also like a lot of fun. How comes I never get around doing anything when I'm back in Belgium? I need your guidance I think =)

    Anyway, won't be for this year, my holidays are finished... Any chance that you and Phil can come over here? It's been long enough since we last saw each other.

    Kisses *

    ReplyDelete