Friday, July 6, 2012

An Update in the Form of Some Favorites

An entire month since my last post!?!? Banange! (banange = OMG in Luganda. it's one of my favorites.)  I guess I have been busy, but doing exactly what I cannot at this moment articulate.  Hopefully writing this post will help me remember.

First off, to start there was something that was the opposite of my favorite. Our good friend and previous landlady had a horrible house fire. She was already away for the summer but the house was full of lodgers and her daughter Olivia, too. Luckily, everyone was safe, but there was a lot of damage. We now have a lodger of our own, Kathleen. She is a yogi and also currently into Game of Thrones so we don't mind having her around one bit.

fire does the most craziest things
I spent one of the past weeks with wonderous Manchester amigo, Jack Morganlaw.  He's the type of buddy you always like to hear from which is good, because he has been known to overcommunicate a time or two.  He's hardly ever crabby and usually jokey and mostly silly and that is why he is also one of my favorites.  Jack has been living in Afghanistan since February so was happy to run around in shorts and t-shirts, drinking dollar beers and eating pork until he nearly puked.

We had a wicked week doing some seriously Kampalite things - going to the lake twice, visiting a few markets, seeing the witch doctor, boda-ing everywhere, and cuddling pooches - while also mixing in some relaxation - mainly in the form of watching hilarious and/or music video YouTubes. Jack did manage to visit for 2 of the 10 rainy and cold days a year. Sorry, sorry, sorry, bambi ('dear' in Lunganda. I also love this sentence).


Of course, there was a trip to Jinja where Jack not only convinced me to go white water rafting again, but also basically tricked me into doing a tandem bungee jump. The weather was fabulous and so were all the adrenaline junky activities, however, the best might have been the day by the pool with margaritas.


Felix Chill celebrated his 31st year on the 26th. He didn't want a party so we kept it low key with pulled pork sandwiches, pajama pants, and fancy necklaces. He didn't complain.

(I made this 1960s style to try to portrait the Chill's age, but he's still my favorite)
This past month we have dined on both cauliflower and broccoli from our very own garden. This is totally a favorite even though when I mentioned this as something 'going on' in my life at a dinner party, a friend kindly told me maybe I should just stick with 'not much'. He clearly does not share my enthusiasm for homegrown goodies.

Tomorrow is the 4th birthday of one Sahara Killer Inglish Gill. Even though she is a royal pain, is mean to Sam and her sister, sometimes snores and has the stinkiest farts, she is one my favorites.  She will probably celebrate by wearing a fancy necklace and sleeping on her new favorite rug - all the way from Afghanistan. Thanks, Jack!



I'm leaving on a jet plane Sunday. Heading over to the good ol' US of A for some summer fun. Holler at me and we'll meet up for some tortilla chips and a cheese tray (two favorites that are hard to come by in UG).

2 comments:

  1. LOVE the new post! Seriously love everything you do and write.....always makes my day! Inspired me to do a favorites one as well....Also heading back to the USA next Saturday and would love to reunite via PERSON if you are near the Edmond or Stillwater area. =) PS how did you make the pictures like this? love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep looking at that middle picture of the first series and wondering what it is? Anyway it looks pretty horrible, and it must have been, too.

    Beautiful, beautiful pictures, you're so brave to have made the jump. Hope you're having an equally good time in America.

    PS. Is that the Jack that you introduced to me recently?

    ReplyDelete