Wednesday, October 17, 2012

A Year of Decorating at Plot 38

Sometimes the way my life has turned out truly baffles me. As I have mentioned before, there was a time when I thought my life's calling was to be an interior decorator. This did not pan out for multiple reasons, and I'm happy for that, but I cannot believe how far I have veered away from this passion I once harbored.  I probably spent more time and effort coordinating colors and posters for my freshman dorm room (that I only lived in for 4 months) than I have put into our three bedroom, two bathroom, plus a small office home that we have lived in for nearly four years. Can you imagine?

Not only does living in a developing country provide some perspective on a daily basis about all the things one can live without, but we have been thinking we were leaving this place for years, so I thought there was little point in investing the money or the effort. Not to mention, there's no Ikea or Pier 1 here, making home decorating a bit more challenging.  However, I managed to rise to the occasion and have made a few improvements here and there over the past year. None of them major, but I thought you might like to see.

NB: None of these rooms were styled before the shot - keepin. it. real. up in here. Also, there are not before photos because that takes some pre-planning and I forgot that step.


 we had a huge new bed mad awhile back. its ginormous. I love the mosquito net palace. I love the space. I love feeling like I'm in a safari lodge. Don't mind that the duvet cover is the wash. Also the bedding is super plain and I'm looking to spice it up with some throw pillows when I find an appropriate fabric. The bedside tables were made to match the bed and provide additional storage space. You can hardly see, but there are new lamps on the bedside tables, too. They're touch lamps. Monica was super impressed. But seriously, how the hell do those things work? The art is of a buddha in Thailand.

 I refinished our dresser. it used to be very yellowy wood. This was not what I was going for but the process went wrong at some point and this is what I got which I then decided I liked after some convincing from the Chill. The rug was gift from Jack. Made in Afghanistan and so warming for the space. I also painted the frame around the mirror which used to be yellowy wood, too. And a new lamp shade.

 this is a beautiful map of Uganda I had framed and it hangs in the hall.

 This is the second guest bedroom for when we have two sets of guest. Its mainly used as overflow storage for glasses. Notice no bed coverings on the guest beds because it is so dusty up in here that we would have to wash them regularly even with no one sleeping there. Seems like a waste of water. However, the room does look nice with a made bed, so just imagine. This one usually has a red duvet.  New kitenge fabric squares and local paintings spice up the walls. This is our old bed and night tables. This room used to have 2 twin beds. One of those now lives in my office and the other was given away. New(ish) lamps from Thailand.

 New mirror, new light covering. The rack is for drying our unmentionables which are not to be hung on the line in the yard (we don't have a dryer). Why? I don't know, but that is how it is.

hall bathroom - sea shells from my visit to see Elsie in Moz

 lots of new towels that match (only one pictured), new curtains made from old curtains that were handed down to us from Phil's sister, new shower curtain and bath mat which you can't see but is simply gray.

 when I was supposed to be writing my dissertation, I painted the entire house. most just white over white to cover the dirtiness that comes with time, dust and dogs, but here, in the first guest bedroom, I chose to go with gray. New light cover and some plane paraphernalia

 Also new bedside lamps, framed map with shipping routes and stamps on it (originally was wrapping paper from Urban Outfitters). The bedding in this room is a red, white, and gray stripe with dark gray sheets. So nice. Someday, I'll try to remember to take a pictures and show you, or you can visit and snooze on it yourself.


 Not much new here, but I made a new seating arrangement last week and we're giving it a whirl.

 I had new cushions made for the veranda because the doggies chewed the last ones when we went to South America (in 2009). D'oh. Then I had that big box behind the hammock made to store these pretty new cushions so the dogs couldn't get to them. New lights from Thailand. To the right, not so much in the picture, is a weight machine Felix recently purchased. It does little to enhance the charm of the veranda but perhaps will enhance the Chill if he ever manages to use it.

 Now mainly used as a messy crafting area, the dinning room has a large framed 'aged' map, a birthday wall hanging given to Pheer (as it is often pronounced here) by Kabito, our night guard, and an Ethiopian lunch box decorating the walls. Where the framed map is hung, we used to have a massive paper map held up with sticky tack. I feel more grown up with all the glass and wood surrounding our art.

Ethiopian crosses in the hall way.

 One shelf in the living room has become a Good Glass display.

The other holds the books which I decided should definitely be arranged like a rainbow. Felix still hasn't noticed...

And last, but certainly not least, my parents gave me this real painting by a famous local artist for my graduation. I love it the most and it makes my living room look great and pulled together, or so I like to think.

So that's about it for small home improvements here at Plot 38 over the past year.  I know its not much and its not fancy, but its us. And I dig it.  Someday I'll show you my office when I get something for the day bed sorted and also, in my dreams, I will eventually show you a slightly remodeled kitchen.

3 comments:

  1. I love your house, and I can only hope we can make our home into something as nice and homey as yours!

    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. So lovely! The veranda is awesome. Hope we get to visit before you move out of there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a nice eye for details, I'm sure you would have been a great interior decorator as well. The rainbow book organization really made me laugh, and the fact that Phil has not noticed yet...

    Also: beautiful painting! And your house has changed a lot, I need to come and visit...

    ReplyDelete