Friday, October 30, 2009

London, Baby!

This past week I flew to London for an Ag Finance meeting. My flight got in Monday morning, but the meeting didn't begin until Tuesday. Originally I thought I would be spending the day in my hotel room, sleeping some since I did very little of that on the overnight flight, and working, as I had some stuff to do, which would most definitely be putting me to sleep, comprende? But on the airport shuttle from Terminal 5 to 4 (which takes the equivilant of another flight from London to Paris) my boss suggested that I take the day to check out the city, maybe do a little shopping he says. I try to pretend that work is my main priority, "Well, that would be lovely, but, OKAY!" I didn't quite pull off that committed-to-the-job character. What did I care, I was headed to London, baby!

After a breakfast of cream cheese and smoked salmon (oh the luxury), I had the most fantabulous day I've had in a long time. In three years, I have not experienced Fall. Count 'em, THREE! 2006 in Kenya, 2007 & 08 in Uganda. Never traveling during October or November has meant I have missed Fall. But let me tell you, London had the Autumn going on, full spectrum. There were also some sights to see, some stores to shop (although I did not), and people to watch.

First stop was The Victoria & Albert Museum, but just call it The V & A, if you're street like me.

I saw some cool stuff

like art


and little girls sketching dresses from the fashion exhibit


Then I was going to check out this place, the Natural History Museum

But the line went like this

and then just kept on going

So I did a little walking around

And wondered into a grocery store called Waitrose. This is only like 1/4 of their cheese collection. It took a lot of self control not to knock that lady over and start shoving cheese in my mouth, pockets and underwear. I love me some cheese. (Uganda is not so great in the cheese department)

Riding the underground like a pro. Didn't even ask for directions once. People probably thought I was a local.......except for the self portrait in the tube station. Doh.

I saw this place

And then decided to check out Hyde Park

where it was all kinds of FALL

The most perfect kind of Fall where you can drive with the top down

and you can be in shorts and t or bundled up and you're comfortable either way

Where to next??

to see the Queen, of course!

but how do I get in the place?

I couldn't crack the case, so I headed to St James Park for more enjoying of the finest fall day in the whole history of a world

EVERYONE was loving it! (or they were dead)


Basically, it was heaven.

And just when you think things can't get any better, you find a little squirrel checkin' you out

and there are few things better than an autumn day and friendly squirrel

Did I mention that London can do some serious Fall?!

I also explored the Guard Museum and saw the Eye

I asked him on a date and he didn't flinch. Can you imagine? How rude.

the most necessary tourist pic - London Calling, if you will.

even their buses are cute

AND the taxis.

Trafalgar Square

The National Gallery. I ate my lunch of cappuccino and mozzarella pesto samich on the steps.

Big Ben

A painting of paintings in the National Gallery. (then I found out you're not supposed to use your camera in that place. oops) I also saw LOTS of Monet, Renoir, and Picasso.


Picadilly Circus


This picture was taken for the architecture, not the Micky D's.  Then my feet were achy all over, so I went back to the hotel.  I probably walked at least one hundred miles.

And for the next two days, I sat in the conference room.

The End.

1 comment:

  1. Looks wonderful! I cannot imagine three years with no fall. I am so glad you got one, and in London at that!

    ReplyDelete