Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Everyday Update

Remember these things? Everyday updates, that is?  It has been ages since I could post such a post as I didn't really have an 'everyday' kind of schedule.  Well, there was the time when my everyday was exactly the same and looked something like this:


but, really, who wants to be updated on that? No one. That's who.  Then there was a period of moving about quite a bit from the UK to France to Uganda to the UK to Uganda to Mozambique back to Uganda and then again to the UK (plus Germany for a minute!!) (it looks so glamorous and it was oh so much fun!). But since January, I have been planted firmly in Uganda. My tourist visa has expired (and I'm an illegal alien but its being sorted out), and I have an average everyday now and I am mostly grateful for that.  Its nice to have schedule. To live with the Chill again. Its been basically four months and I can't believe this is my first 'everyday update', but I'm happy to be bringing it back (with numerals! - you know how I like a numerated list):

1)  The turkey formerly known as Dinner finally fulfilled his destiny and was our Easter dinner for a group of friends. He was, however, disappointing. Perhaps it was that he was sharing the food of layers and not eating the grains of a broiler to get big and fat or perhaps he was too stressed by the constant stalking of Sahara.  At any rate, he was perfectly edible just not super scrumptious, but luckily, we had a cheese tray to stuff our guests with first and plenty of booze going around. I don't think people noticed that the bird was not the best or that we left the stuffing in the oven and had to eat it for lunch the next day soaked in leftover gravy.

2) Noah was in town for almost a week over Easter. It is always good to see him as he is our longest and most mutual Kampala friend even though he has not lived here for many moons.  We love that guy.
me and Noah in Manchester - no photographic evidence of this trip :(
3) We're finally growing red and yellow peppers after trying for nearly 3 years. They're fabulous and sweet and much cheaper than buying them at the grocery store (only the small green, slightly bitter ones are available in our local market).  The berries are still rolling in (of the straw and rasp varieties) and we have the beginnings of celery and broccoli sprouts which are also firsts for us and very exciting. (Everyday Updates are good reminders of how old I am - excited about celery sprouts?)

4) I've still been doing lots of work for Good Glass (please 'like' us on facebook if you don't already https://www.facebook.com/pages/Good-Glass/ and visit our website www.GoodGlassUg.com). Its challenging running your own business but also nice to have a flexible schedule and so much fun to dream about all the potential. I have so many dreams for this thing, and sometimes I have to step back and remember that I do not have an investment fund (yet!) and that I am in Uganda, the place where we move empole, empole (slowly, slowly) most days, but I love it nonetheless and will keep on doing my best. I'll keep you updated on the progress - I could write entire posts on the trials and tribulations and probably will in the near future - so you have that to look forward to!

5) I have also been working part time as a consultant for a new website to launch next week called IN KAMPALA.  The 27th is when it will be live so if you're interested, visit the launch page at www.inkampala.com or wait and see the real deal next Friday. It is sure to become the premier website of Uganda with lots of fresh, local content and great tips on the awesome places to go.  My work with them will end at the end of April but it was a lot of fun and great experience.

6) I'm still teaching yoga and loving it and looking for time and venues to expand this passion.

7) Besides Noah, we have had other visitors - not all at our house, but in town.  Jessica, a friend from Manchester was in Kampala for about a week after 3 weeks in Masindi with University of Manchester students doing their field trip.  Also, old Kampalites, Glenna Gordon (photo journalist who took a highly controversial and now very famous photo of Invisible Children founders www.glennagordon.com) and Alexis Okeowo (writer for The New Yorker www.alexisokeowo.com) have been in the country for a few weeks and it has been great to catch up with them and see where life has led them.  Shane and Sarah also made an appearance for a long weekend.  They moved while I was in Manchester so was never able to properly tell them goodbye. It was wonderful to have them back in town, if only for a short time. They also purchased a Good Glass wind chime which now hangs from a tree in their yard in Cote d'Ivoire - our first international chime! Very exciting!!!

Between Noah, Alexis,Glenna, Shane and Sarah, they have lived in at least 11 different cities in 8 different countries since their time in Kampala. It really makes me feel like we have stayed in this place for so long. Sometimes I wish it were us moving around the globe, but mostly I'm so grateful that we have found a place that we are both able to pursue our passions and meet so many interesting folk.  It's also nice that its a place people want to return to or visit for the first time. I hope you are in one of those categories and know you always have a place to stay. Please comment below to make your booking :)

2 comments:

  1. Count me in! I definitely need to visit...absolutely love everything you are doing and love the blog! You are amazing. Sooo i graduate in a year...keep me posted if you need another consultant or help running your business...just an idea=) keep the blogs a coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Heather! Will definitely need you! xoxo

    ReplyDelete