Thursday, April 19, 2012

The BEST Thing About Living in Kampala

There are many things I like about living here, but the very best happened to me today.  I was behind a large truck while driving home and the traffic was flowing, but only slowly (sounds awesome, right? exhaust fumes and a delayed commute!). The thing about this truck is that it was totally tricked out. Equipped with a generator in the back and enough speakers for a concert at Madison Square Garden, this truck was bumpin'. Sure the shocks were blown, the paint rusted and the breaks squeaky, but who cares when you've got a system like that?  Trucks like this are hired in Kampala to promote a variety of things from mosquito nets to new albums to church revivals and gigs.  This particular one was advertising the Cocoa Finger concert at Kati Kati.  They were playing a popular song as we crawled through the Nsambya dip, a narrow road in a densely populated area. There are like a gillion kids who live on this street.  Sometimes Phil and I play a game called 'count kids under 5'.  Once we counted 110, all in a stretch of half a mile. I love seeing their cute faces any time I pass this neighborhood, but when you're behind the Trendy Tunes Truck, it cannot. be. beat. Children came pouring out of every nook and cranny to shake their groove thing and, let me tell you, these kids can move. Some smiling, some serious about their mad skillz, and all of them cute enough to kidnap (Elsie, where are you when I need you??).  I took the long route home just to stay behind the mobile beats and get a peek at a few more beautiful babies gettin' their dance on.

It's my dream to get a video camera and ride around in the back of one of these promotional pick-ups, getting all the joy and jams on tape so I could share it with you and the ENTIRE WORLD. I mean it really is the BEST thing about living in Kampala.

What's the best thing about living in your neck of the woods? Can you make a video of it and share it with me?

1 comment:

  1. Love this! I will try. We have those trucks here too, sounds like. Can't wait to see the video!

    ReplyDelete