Monday, February 15, 2010

A New Moon with Big Stars


Saturday morning my yoga teacher pulled me aside and invited me to attend a New Moon Ritual that evening.  As if that weren’t exciting enough on its own, she also threw in that there would be yoga royalty attending!  Of course, I said yes and Felix decided to join me.  I thought I’d have to kick and scream to convince him to spend the evening with a bunch of chanting hippies, but he was game from the get go.  Whatta guy.

So yes, I did say royalty.  Now if you’re not into the fantastic practice of yoga, then a) you should be! And b) these names will probably mean nothing to you.  However if you’ve ever picked up an issue of Yoga Journal, you were bound to see Seane Corn, one of the most famous American yogis.


Accompanying Seane was Suzanne Sterling, a yogi, musician and some sort of priestess. 

Seane was hosting a trip to Uganda to work with local charities such as schools, orphanages, and clinics.  It’s through an organization called Off the Mat and Into the World.  The participants of the trip had all raised $20,000 or more EACH in order to attend.  Those are some dedicated ladies.  They came to the New Moon Ritual and dinner as well, and it was interesting to meet them all.  They were from all over the US and a few from Canada.  Most were yoga teachers themselves and were as sweet and appreciative as can be.  They were curious to learn all about life in Uganda, and I as I don’t mind talking about myself and my experiences, I shared what I knew.

The evening began with the ritual which was lead by Gavin, a South African living in Uganda who regularly teaches yoga classes here.  We had to think about 3 things to let go of and write them on paper, 3 things to keep, and 3 things we would like in our lives.  The first set of 3 we burned in the fire.  Then we meditated about how grateful we were for the 3 things we wanted to keep.  And finally after appreciating the elements, water, fire, air, and earth, we imagined our lives with the 3 things we wanted.  Suzanne played her drum and sang.  It was a fresh beginning.

I like the idea of the new moon.  It’s like New Year’s, but it happens every month.  It’s a great way to remind yourself that there are things you need to let go of, there are things that you are so lucky to have, and there are things that you are capable of doing and having if you remain focused.

The evening was a huge success.  I’m so grateful for having been invited.  The perfect ending was a big hug from Seane herself!  I’m still floating on a New Moon high.

Om shanti.

1 comment:

  1. Happy Anniversary! I can see a very bright and happy future for the two of you:

    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Ysf8XrimfU4/S3o_UPgeiOI/AAAAAAAABZ0/87YSDekfmq8/s200/Phil%26Angela.jpg (Hope it works...)

    ReplyDelete