Sunday, August 17, 2014

Engaged!

Well, I have really been delinquent in posting. Over one whole year. But I figure if there's any occasion that should be documented, perhaps it is one's engagement. And maybe it will even be a catalyst for more posting, but let's not get carried away.

Phil and I were recently in New York on what Phil called our 'capacity building' holiday. Capacity building means I did some yoga teacher training and Phil did some helicopter training. On our last day before flying back to Uganda, Phil suggested I go with him and check out his newly attained helicopter piloting skills. Flying around New York City in a helicopter with my own personal pirate pilot? Sure, sounds good to me. We took the train to Linden, New Jersey where the training school is and started from there. Here are some of the best shots although there are about one million more.

Linden, New Jersey

train parking area

Central Park
Although there was some pretty serious sh*t that went down in New York due to airplane hijacking, the air space is still unregulated, so we were able to fly really low and really close to everything. It was pretty spectacular.


we were so close!

no big deal

the Empire State Building


looking uptown

"And if this floor doesn't shine like top of the Chrysler Building!" Name that movie.

Bryant Park

the Lady Liberty 
We didn't want to have to take the train all the way back from New Jersey and Phil's instructor was with us (as he's not yet fully certified), so we just had him drop us off in Manhattan near the Highline. From there, we went shopping and I had a haircut. We still had time for one more meal before we needed to pack and head to the airport, so Phil suggested we get some burgers from the Burger Joint at the Parker Meridian and walk to Central Park. I thought that sounded ideal. We passed a liquor store and still needed to stock up on some booze to take back to Uganda so popped in. While I picked up some Grey Goose and Bombay, Phil grabbed a bottle of cold champagne to celebrate our time in New York together and we headed to the park. I took this photo as we ate our burgers.
our picnic in Central Park
After we were finished eating, I asked Phil if we should open the champagne and then he started getting a little funny, saying we could or we could take it with us back to the apartment and have it on the roof there. I thought we should just hang in the park as our time was limited. And then a tiny bit sweaty and a little nervous, Phil said that he loved me and he didn't know why he hadn't done this sooner, but he's known for a long time that he wanted to spend the rest of his life me, so would I marry him? He pulled a box out of his pocket with a beautiful ring - gold with a blue topaz stone - perfectly me. And I said yes.

newly engaged! we're really bad at selfies.
We drank champagne in the park, went back to the apartment to pack and then started the journey home to Uganda, totally buzzing. I called, texted and whatsapped a bunch of people from the departures lounge to share our news. What a wonderful day. We've been celebrating ever since. We're so excited and extremely smitten. 

3 comments:

  1. Wow, guess there are not too many people who have such a memorable engagement day. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! Great NYC pics. So happy for you guys and can't wait for the wedding. Eeeek! So wonderful. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well that got me a little choked up! Congrats again :) xxx

    ReplyDelete