Thursday, April 4, 2013

Some Stuff That Happened A Whiiiiiiiiile Ago

Oi! Over a month has gone by and this blog without a single post. I'm worthless.

Let me see what I can tell you that might be of interest and without boring your socks off with the world's longest and most outdated update.

Starting with my 29th birthday. Can you imagine? Just the other day I was talking to Phil about a friend who is 26 and said, 'I guess she's not that young, only a year younger than me.' I still think I'm 27. What happened to the past two years? Although I'm clearly confused and maybe getting early onset dementia, I do remember that it was a beautiful day, spent with a few close friends on our veranda, drinking champagne, eating pulled pork sandwiches and receiving gorgeous bouquets of flowers. I cannot complain.


We spent our first Christmas without any family this year. Sounds depressing, I know, but actually it was fine. Phil's parents had sent gifts and sweet cards in advance that we saved for the day and we only had to wait one more day for the arrival of my parents on the 26th.


Christmas Day was spent with a group comprised largely of the French persuasion and one Dane.  Along with the English tradition of Christmas crackers (toy poppers not dry carb waffers), we enjoyed an astonishing array of French delicacies in the form of four courses: foie gras and a mushroom tapanade type thing for a starter, beef bourguignon and mashed potatoes as the main, five cheeses for the first desert and, to top it all off, profiteroles with chocolate sauce and vanilla ice cream. We also managed mojitos and wine throughout the day and had the company of six kiddos under the age of seven to keep it Christmassy with new toys and sugar highs.


We then had a second Christmas on the 27th with Constance and Boley which included more Christmas crackers, a huge turkey, an amazing new yoga mat (highly recommend and good for the planet!), and tons of other great gifts - I've even entered this century, owning a smart phone. I'm sure it will help me with my Tweeting and Linking In if I ever figure out how it works.


New Years was spent at Kyaninga Lodge in Fort Portal where we walked around crater lakes, played croquet and watched fire works to ring in 2013. The drive home provided some excitement when the breaks quit on the van I was driving as we were passing a motorcycle and a bus was approaching while cruising at high way speeds. Banange! (OMG - in case you are forgetting the Luganda I've taught you). Luckily, we didn't die and it only took 15 minutes to fix us up in the nearby town. Phew!


As yooj, you can find a few more photos on the face. We're not anywhere near April yet, but I'm determined to catch you up. Next time I'll tell you about our southern Africa safari.

In other, and more recent, news:
This might be a nice thing to do
TED Talk that blew my mind


1 comment:

  1. Did you know that even I have entered the century? It involved me losing my work phone (being stolen?), a colleague of mine who didn't like the touchyness of the phone and me inheriting this very smart phone. A little too smart, still - so many possibilities that even something easy (like, inserting someone's phone number in a message) ends up being very complicated. But: it has a cool geography game, so I can practice for in case Phil would ever beat me again in Traveler IQ Challenge =)

    The brakes quitting sounds even more scary than us overtaking that truck, driving Alison's car from the Embassy, when we came back from the girls' weekend (is that really more than 3 years ago?!), on the same road. Do you remember?

    Kisses,
    Els

    ReplyDelete