Thursday, April 15, 2010

Farewell to Elsie


Tuesday evening, after one last dinner at our dining room table and cappuccinos on the couch, Phil and I drove Els to the airport to bid her adieu.  Her contract with BTC in Uganda is over and despite her best efforts to get it extended a third time, she had to hand over her work and fly back to Belgium.

Els has been a very important part of my life the past 2 years.  She has been a yoga buddy, going to and from Muyenga with me, even on Saturday mornings.  When we had missed classes, we would practice at home and on weekend getaways.  

Els was a regular at our house for dinner, averaging 2-3 times each week.  She is much more helpful than Felix Chill in the kitchen, especially in  the clean-up department. I fear our dinners will greatly suffer, but not just in food quality, also in conversation. 

Tuna and Sahara think of Els as a second mommy.  Although I don't think they yet realize she is gone, they will sure miss seeing Aunty Els and licking her toes.

Els has entertained us for hours with all the games she knows.  I can't believe I will have to wait months for another game of Alhambra.  (I only once beat Els at this game.  She's so good!)

Els was my co-conspirator in the art of baby snatching.  Although we never went through with our plans, we have spotted the cutest babies in Uganda together, watching them dance or sleep on their mommas backs.  

Above all these things, Els is my best friend.  She is one of the smartest, funnest, thoughtful, and kind people I know.  She will be sorely missed.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks... Missing you too. Had my first really depressed mood today - can't believe that I am not in Uganda. Also, I can feel myself getting fatter from eating way too many Easter eggs and too much cheese (ok, this was also to somehow make you feel jealous =).

    ReplyDelete